MateSel enables Shorthorn Beef members to optimise breeding outcomes by creating a suggested mating list based on a list of candidate sires and dams.
MateSel is a valuable edition to the BREEDPLAN suite of tools and provides Shorthorn Beef members with a guide for objectively optimising mating allocations to reflect their breeding goals and creating long term, sustainable genetic gains.
Through optimising mating allocations, MateSel enables breeders to:
• Maximise the rate of genetic gain in their herd while managing inbreeding at the same time
• Save significant time previously spent compiling mating lists.
• Make informed decisions about semen purchases, which bulls to use, animal selection or culling, mating group formation and mate allocations.
• Include objectivity and proven science in their mating decisions.
• Add significant value to their business by way of additional genetic gain and management of inbreeding to offset the cost of pedigree and performance recording.